Avoiding & Managing Arrears
It can be easy for our residents to inadvertently fall into weekly maintenance contribution (WMC) arrears, even if they regularly make payments towards their account with us.
However, it is also very easy to avoid falling into arrears so long as our residents take the following steps:
- Remember that weekly maintenance contributions should be paid in advance. Ideally, you should have at least four weeks worth of credit with us
- If you cannot afford to cover your housing costs please contact your local authority’s housing benefit department. If in doubt speak with your housing officer for advice on this
- For convenience and to avoid forgetting to make payments, set up a standing order (our preferred method of payment). Your housing officer can help you to do this if you have difficulty
- If you fall into arrears speak with your housing officer as soon as possible. It will be easier to resolve earlier with a simple payment plan than later if your arrears are much higher
- Read your annual WMC charges notification letter very carefully to ensure any standing orders are set up to pay the correct amount each month. If your standing order is set up correctly and paid four weeks in advance you should not fall into arrears.
If you are a Pathways resident who needs any more advice on how to avoid falling into arrears and managing them if they occur, contact the Pathways Housing Office.