An Independent Living Scheme in Newham
Legg Whittuck Almshouses (The Retreat) is an almshouse scheme in Newham consisting of eight one-bedroom properties for older people from the borough.
Jabez Legg built almshouses in Odessa Road, Forest Gate, known as Forest Gate Retreat. Jabez Legg was a Congregational Minister of the Forest Gate church, Sebert Road. He built three almshouses in 1858 and three more in 1863 to accommodate women who had formerly been in domestic service. In 1939 the charity was amalgamated with the Edith Whittuck charity of Wimbledon and renamed the Legg-Whittuck Trust. Alms-women can come from any part of the country, but in practice, most of them have local connections.
The buildings are described as a single storey, small, plain and with gabled fronts. Legg Whittuck joined Pathways on 1 August 2012.
The Retreat, Odessa Road, London E7 9BG
- Age: Applicant must be aged 60 years or over at time of application.
- Gender: Applicants to this almshouse must be female.
In exceptional circumstances where it has not been possible to fill a vacancy from this locality, then the trustees may consider applicants from the Pathways Jubilee area of benefit comprising the London boroughs of Wandsworth, Waltham Forest, Enfield, Haringey, Greenwich, Newham, Tower Hamlets and Lambeth.
Train & Tube
- Forest Gate Railway Station, Woodgrange Road, Forest Gate, London E7 0NE – (0.3 mile, 6 minute walk)
- Maryland Railway Station, Leytonstone Road, London E15 1SA – (0.6 mile, 12 minute walk)
- Stratford Station, Station St, London E15 1AZ – (1.2 mile, 24 minute walk)
Nearest bus routes: 308, 678, 58, 330, 25, 86, 425.
- Barclays Bank, 306 Romford Rd, Forest Gate, London E7 9HH – (0.5 mile, 10-minute walk)
- Halifax, 35-37, The Mall, London E15 1XE – (1 mile, 6-minute car drive)
- Lloyds Bank, 60 The Broadway, London E15 1NG – (1 mile, 6-minute car drive)
- Santander, 38 The Broadway, London E15 4QN – (1.3 miles, 8-minute car drive)
- NatWest, Ground Floor, Gredley House, 1 – 11 Broadway, London E15 4BQ – (1.1 miles, 7-minute car drive
London Borough of Newham, 328 Barking Rd, East Ham, London E6 2RT (2.6 mile, 14-minute car drive)
Supermarkets & Stores
- Co-op Food, 67-73 Woodgrange Rd, Forest Gate, London E7 0EL – (0.3 mile, 6-minute walk)
- Tesco Express, 28 Woodgrange Rd, Forest Gate, London E7 0QH – (0.4 mile, 9-minute walk)
- Iceland Foods, 4, A, 20 Woodgrange Rd, London E7 0QH – (0.5 mile, 10-minute walk)
- Sainsbury’s Local, 165-167 Romford Rd, London E15 4JF – (0.6 mile, 11-minute walk)
- Forest Gate Post Office, 21 Woodgrange Rd, Forest Gate, London E7 8BA – (0.4 mile, 8-minute walk)
Forest Lane Park (0.2 mile, 1-minute walk)
- Woodgrange Medical Practice, 40 Woodgrange Rd, Forest Gate, London E7 0QH – (0.4 mile, 7-minute walk)
- Woodgrange Dental Surgery, 80 Woodgrange Rd, Forest Gate, London E7 0EW – (0.3 mile, 6-minute walk)
- Wanstead Hospital, Makepeace Rd, Wanstead, London E11 1UU – (2.9 miles, 12-minute car drive)